Clifton House, situated on Euston Road, was constructed in 1936 as a seven-storey steel-framed warehouse. The building had previously been converted to office space over retail and has now undergone a major refurbishment to provide six floors of hotel accommodation and add three new upper floors of grade A office space at the top of the building. The ground floor retail units have been retained and these remained open throughout the works.
The regeneration of the existing building involved the infill of the stepped rear elevation to increase the footprint of the lower floors, while a three-storey glass clad extension to the roof provides the space for self-contained modern office units with outdoor terraces and spectacular views. The works have increased the building area by over 50% to around 13,000m2.
Expedition has provided the structural and civil engineering solutions for this project, which include strengthening the existing foundations without undermining them – saving time & money; and demolishing the original top storey and re-building four new storeys – maximising the rental value of the building. The lateral stability of the enlarged building is provided by a pair of new structurally optimised and aesthetically tuned external steelwork pylons at the rear of the building – reducing mass and adding a signature exposed structural feature to the building.
Expedition also demonstrated that various components of the construction sequence could be carried out in parallel to reduce the overall construction programme, offering a benefit to the client, for a building that remained partially occupied throughout the works.
Client: Romulus Construction Ltd.
Architect: Robin Partington Architects
David Morley Architects
Contractor: Sheppard Construction Ltd (D&B)
Project Value: £26m
Status: Completed 2014