6-12 George Street is a five-storey load-bearing masonry building with basement, built in 1891 for the YMCA. It is located in a conservation area in central Oxford within a traffic-restricted route and bound on all but the street elevation by adjoining buildings.
The redevelopment of the site includes the retention and refurbishment of the historic façade, deepening of the existing basement and the reconstruction of a new building behind the retained façade. The reconfiguration of the building will enable an additional storey to be incorporated and more generous space at basement and ground floor level for retail use. Open-plan column-free steel frame construction will be used to provide the high-spec trading floor environment required by the owner-occupier.